Saturday, May 16, 2009

Coyote Decoy...Here's How I Use Them

COYOTE DECOY

Flambeau make a great coyote decoy. In my opinion they really did their homework when designing it because they have made it in such a way that it can be placed in a standing position, a sitting position, or a prone position.

This matters for a couple of reasons to me. One is the wind. When I am calling in a fairly stiff wind I sit that decoy on it's hind end to make it more stable. Let's it not catch quite as much wind as it does when it is standing.

The second reason is the coyote decoys posture. A standing coyote has the appearance of a more aggressive posture. Where as a sitting or prone position coyote decoy would appear to be a less aggressive posture.

HERE'S HOW I SETUP MY COYOTE DECOY IN A GIVEN CALLING SITUATION

For Instance If I am doing a Challenge Howl

I will stand my coyote decoy up when in this situation. Hey I'm challenging him with my call so why not make my decoy look like a challenger? Works well for getting an alpha coyote all pumped up!

Other Ways I Use The Coyote Decoy

I have played with this decoy just about every way you can imagine. I have even placed fur in it's mouth when making distress calls so it looks like the decoy coyote has already made the kill.

Do you need a coyote decoy to be a successful coyote hunter? The answer is no. But I can tell you from experience that anything I can do to draw an incoming coyotes attention away from me, all adds up to a better percentage of coyotes killed.



No comments:

All Time Great Coyote Hunting Videos & Books

Coyote Calling Tips From Ezine Articles.com