Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Coyote Calls...Try A Fawn Distress Call For Spring And Summer Coyote Calling

The Coyote Calls I use vary depending on the area and the season of the year.

First let's cover area.

If I know an area has not been hunted before I will almost always use a rabbit distress call. On the other hand if I know it has had some hunting pressure from other predator hunters I will probably use a different call.

Now don't get me wrong. I like it that more and more hunters are starting to enjoy predator hunting. But I also know that when hunters are new to calling coyotes they use rabbit distress calls almost exclusively. I also know that there lack of experience makes for a lot of smart coyotes.

Since I know this I will change up my calling when in previously hunted areas. Maybe some coyote vocalizations or a fawn distress or bird distress.

Now let's talk about season

At the time of this post it is mid May here in Missouri. Turkey season is just over and deer are giving birth to fawns.....Ding Ding Ding!

Yep it's time to use the fawn distress call. One draw back to this is you are going to call in some deer as well.

The up side is that those old opportunistic coyotes know what time of year it is too. Coyotes dine on different critters at different times of the year and it is prime time for fawn distress calling.

If you have deer in your area and I bet you do...get out your fawn distress call and get out there and give it a go.

Good Luck and Great Hunting!
Grizz

1 comment:

Shawn said...

That is a great idea. I will use this in areas where I have exhausted my other methods of calling coyote.

All Time Great Coyote Hunting Videos & Books

Coyote Calling Tips From Ezine Articles.com