Monday, January 3, 2011

Bobcat 1...Grizz and The New Fox Pro Fury...0

My apollagies for not making this post yesterday as I said I would.

Anyway...Got up yesterday before the crack of dawn, (excited as a kid on Christmas Morning!)ready to go out and play with the new caller. Get dressed...head out the door only to find the wind blowing at 25+ miles an hour. Go back in the house disgusted and decide to wait for a a time when the wind isn't blowing quite so hard.

So by about 4pm yesterday evening the wind has laid and I decide it is time for the maiden voyage of Grizz and the new Fox Pro Caller.

Got to my hunting spot, get to my setup with great confidence because I was super stealthy getting in there. Get my caller set up about 20 yards upwind of where I plan to set and then waited just a couple minutes to start calling.

Had been calling about 15 minutes when all I see is the rear end of a bobcat slinking back over the crest of a little hill. Didn't even have time to get into position for a shot before he disappeared.

I was calling in a corn stock field which makes it exceptionally hard to see a bobcat anyway, but I tell you it amazes me how stealthy those critters are. I have great eyes and have done this gig long enough that not much gets past me but this ol cat certainly did.

Anyway the caller is great! Crystal clear sound and enough volume to really get the sound out there when needed.

Anyway that's it for now...But I do recommend that if you love to call predators as much as I do The Fox Pro Fury is well worth the investment. You will use and enjoy it every time you go out.

3 comments:

Bullrider said...

Hey this is josh i asked you a couple of days ago about the right kind of call for my 6yr boy and I got him a good open reed call. I think I have emailed you back but not for sure if you got it so thanks for your suggestion!! Hopefully be able to get some more hints from you as we go lol!!

RobertinNebraska said...

My buddies and i are new to hunting coyotes and really need some advice. we have done alot of research and have tried everything from covering our scent with fox pee to using a quiver critter rabbit decoy and power-dog electronic call. We were out early morning and managed to get a response with a group howl but we blew it from there. They sounded close but then all of a sudden they were gone. We never even saw them. What is your advice? I think it is all about the calling. Is there a time limit and or gap between calls we should do? what do we do when they respond? i think these ones have been hunted before and are cautious because of it but we don't want to ruin the hunting there we want to succeed and its very frustrating. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Kevin Webster said...

Hey Robert I totally understand your situation. While I love the fact that more and more people are starting to predator call...it also makes for some call shy pups too. There are so many theories on calling out there and they probably all work at some point or another I am gonna tell you what I do in situations similar to what you just described.

There could be several reasons they didn't come on in. Anything from busting you from movement to winding you, to simply just not wanting to come on in and investigate.

After I make an initial vocalization call like a group howl or lonesome howl and get a response...I do nothing else for a few minutes and just focus on looking for them to come to the call. If after a few minutes they don't come in I start in with a prey sound. Whether it be cotton tail, jack, or fawn distress (tip...most new callers use rabbit sounds so use your imagination here and change it up a little...I even like pig squeals even though no one here raises hogs outside anymore it still works well).

Now there are those that call all the time and never shut their caller of or quit blowing their hand call. I am one that pauses calling because I want that coyote to be looking for the sound as he comes in. As I said there are many theories out there about this but I do what works for me.

If after a while of playing prey sounds that ol dog still hasn't shown himself....I start in with a wounded pup call and I make it very very distressful and lifelike.

Excited calling really makes a difference for me. Make it real. If you are a doing a wounded pup call by golly be the most hurt pup you can be...make it sound like you are in etreme pain. Same with your other distress calls... Make them sound like you are really hurting. Cant stress that enough especially on predators that hang up and don't seem to want to come to the call...you gotta get them excited and make them think they are about to get a super easy meal, or in the case of the wounded pup call make them thing a coyote pup is really in distress.

Hope this helps and be sure you watch your downwind side...cuz as sure as I am writing this that coyote is going to try to get down wind of that call and make his nose confirm what his ears are hearing.

Good Luck and keep at it. Your not gonna get em every time but persistence pays off. Think about every setup...Ask these questions to yourself

Can I get to my calling place without being seen, smelled or heard?

Can I see my downwind side and shoot that predator before he can get in my scent stream?

If you can answer yes to these questions you will be successful!

Good Luck...Grizz

All Time Great Coyote Hunting Videos & Books

Coyote Calling Tips From Ezine Articles.com